Wednesday, November 7, 2007

November 7

I was going to take a break, and not work on the novel today. I've written all this stuff now, but it's not going anywhere. I bet if I were to copy it into a word document, I'd be somewhere between 20 and 40 pages.

Just tried it. Twenty-four pages, single-spaced.

This is the point where I usually give up on my noveling attempts, and consign them to the folder which is marked "Writing" but should really be titled "Novel Graveyard." I can think of several topics that would be better and easier to write about than the one I'm currently struggling with. My dialogue is clunky, my characters don't have defined voices, and everybody is too nice to each other. I still don't know exactly what the best friend looks like. And I am so tired of describing things!

I took a NaNo suggestion and watched Napoleon Dynamite last night, to get an idea of pacing. Gosh, I love that movie. I've probably seen it a dozen times and it still cracks me up. Also, the scenes are very short. My scenes are very long, usually about 2,000 words per scene, because I end up writing one a day. I don't know where to stop and start. Do I start when the character walked in the door? When they got up this morning? When they were eight? And I can't end a scene until it comes to its realistic and boring conclusion.

Even thinking about it makes me want to take a nap.

Anyway, I did write some today, and I did manage to make one of the scenes shorter. But I'd still kind of like to throw this out and start over completely.

Today's Word Count: 1,471/2,000
Total Word Count: 15, 574/50,000

Blaaah.

No comments: