Tuesday, November 20, 2007

November 20

So this is it, I'm getting into the home stretch. I'm kind of glad, what with the convenient distractions of relatives visiting and Thanksgiving food to prepare and the general holiday hoopla.

I don't feel like the novel is anywhere near "finished," not even for a first draft, but I'm starting to wrap things up. I don't know whether I'll go beyond 50K, or whether I'll want to start editing it immediately. I had thought not, but this morning a better opening occurred to me.

I am quite glad I'm ahead on my word count. At this point, with only 6,816 words to go, and my typical pace of a thousand words in thirty minutes, I could finish in an afternoon if I wanted to. It's nice to be so close to the end that I can take my time getting there, like savoring the last gooey bite of a Reese's Cup that has partially melted between my fingers. Mmmmn.

Also, I must confess that while I had sworn not to begin any holiday craft projects until the novel was finished, I did go a little nuts at Michaels this weekend with my brother and sister-in-law. And I am determined that Christopher, Edythe and I will be wearing matching hats in our holiday photo this year. Hats that I am making. For the photo we will be taking this weekend.

Relaxing? What is this relaxing you speak of? Relaxing is for dead people. Must... make things... at all times!

Today's Word Count: 1,077/2,000
Total Word Count: 43,184/50,000 (That's 86% to you!)

No comments: