Thursday, December 6, 2007

Finding the Time Part 2

As my aunt pointed out, I neglected to mention one key component of the time management equation in my previous post. And that, of course, is my husband.

He has a strange and demanding schedule, to be sure. I like to think of what we do as shift parenting. Christopher works 30 hours a week, spending two or three long days in the office, and telecommuting the rest of the time. He also stays home with Edythe while I go to my day job, for approximately 36 hours a week (9 hours day/3 days week). And he takes two classes, for a total of six hours a week.

So that's what, 30 + 36 + 6 = 69 hours/week, not including commuting time and homework time.

Basically, we just see each other on Sundays. And once in a while on a weeknight. So that's one reason I can find all this time to write while Edythe is sleeping. Christopher isn't home either, so it isn't as if I'm missing out on family time. On the other hand, I really should be picking up more of the household chores.

My current duties are:
Working full time (being the primary breadwinner)
Handling virtually all the night wakeups
Solo parenting on Saturdays and several weeknights

Writing this, I feel quite lazy. Christopher is unbelievably and unfailingly supportive of my writing efforts. He reads this blog every day, even when I don't post. He encourages me and doesn't pester me about reading what drivel I've written. Some of my friends and family are rather critical, so having someone be so unashamedly supportive of my efforts is a rarity and a blessing indeed.

Shhh, don't tell, but the cats and I are getting him this for Christmas, as a special thank-you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the link, you've been entered into the contest!

Glinda